A lovely pair of large cut glass crystal wine glasses by Webb Corbett ( Royal Doulton ) in the Juno pattern.
These glasses were manufactured between 1970 and 1985, after the date of 1969 when Royal Doulton bought the Webb Corbett company , but before the name Royal Doulton was introduced into the etching of the base.The design essentially formed by a series of large crosses cut around the lower half of the bowl, and again cut within to form a series of diamonds within diamonds shapes. Where these diamonds join, a 7 point fan cut reaching up towards the rim. The bowl is on a capstan style stem with central knop. The foot is a star burst cut. The bases are acid etched with a crown, which is the Webb Corbett mark introduced in 1970. Would make a great gift for someone.
Condition: Mint. Never used. In original wrapping and box with sticky labels.
Dimensions: 12cm (H) x 7.5cm (rim diameter) x 5.7cm (base diameter) approx.
Provenance: Ex. estate of a Hampshire gentleman, UK.
Royal Doulton is an English ceramic and home accessories manufacturer founded in 1815. Operating originally in Vauxhall, London, later moving to Lambeth, in 1882 it opened a factory in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, in the centre of English pottery. From the start the backbone of the business was a wide range of utilitarian wares, mostly stonewares, including storage jars, tankards and the like, and later extending to pipes for drains, lavatories and other bathroom ceramics. From 1853 to 1902 its wares were marked Doulton & Co., then from 1902, when a royal warrant was given, Royal Doulton.
It always made some more decorative wares, initially still mostly stoneware, and from the 1860s the firm made considerable efforts to get a reputation for design, in which it was largely successful, as one of the first British makers of art pottery. Initially this was done through artistic stonewares made in Lambeth, but in 1882 the firm bought a Burslem factory, which was mainly intended for making bone china tablewares and decorative items. It was a latecomer in this market compared to firms such as Royal Crown Derby, Royal Worcester, Wedgwood, Spode and Mintons, but made a place for itself in the later 19th century. Today Royal Doulton mainly produces tableware and figurines, but also cookware, glassware, and other home accessories such as linens, curtains and lighting.
Three of its brands were Royal Doulton, Royal Albert, and (after a post-WWII merger) Mintons. These brands are now owned by WWRD Holdings Limited (Waterford Crystal, Wedgwood, Royal Doulton), based in Barlaston near Stoke-on-Trent. On 2 July 2015, the acquisition of WWRD by the Finnish company Fiskars Corporation was completed.
© The Antiques Shops 2021 All rights reserved
Powered by w3.css